• October 28

• January 3Senior make-up pictures are Monday, October 28!

The student news site of Camden High School

Palmetto Leaf

Texting and driving: both despicable and dangerous

Gabby Catoe, Staff Writer

Driving is a privilege and it is important that drivers follow all safety rules. Texting and driving is becoming a problem with most people because if they get a text then they are going to think that it is okay to pick up their phone and instantly reply back to their text. This is a major distraction and a big cause of many car accidents. There are many people who have lost their lives due to texting and driving related accidents. It is becoming even more of a problem than drinking and driving accidents. It would be very difficult to get over knowing someone lost their life over a simple text message.

It is very important that people take this issue very seriously. Teenagers are at particular risk for texting and driving. They are inexperienced drivers and are not always mature enough to understand the effects of their actions while behind the wheel of a car. Driver’s education plays a big part in preparing teenagers and is beginning to make texting and driving a part of the program. Many parents have taken part in the program provided by cell phone companies that do not allow texting while driving. This is a very good idea and should be mandatory on all cell phones. There is no text message that is important enough to risk injury or death.

I have personally experienced an accident that was caused by a driver texting and driving. This particular driver that was texting lost his life in this car accident. This incident has opened my eyes to just how serious texting and driving may be. I will not ride with someone who thinks it is okay to text and drive in the future.