• October 28

• January 3Senior make-up pictures are Monday, October 28!

The student news site of Camden High School

Palmetto Leaf

JROTC offers young people a positive outlook

Hamilton Calk, Staff writer

The Junior Officer’s Training Corps (JROTC) is a federal program sponsored by the United States Armed Forces. High schools across the United States use this program to teach self- reliance, patriotism, and military skills. The program hopes to encourage students to join the military one day.

Cody Toole is a graduate of the JROTC program.

“It gave me a sense of accomplishment and teamwork. I learned about the military and was on the drill team. I learned to march, spin a rifle, and developed a passion to join the military when I graduated from high school,” Toole said.

JROTC teaches students how to become leaders and how to be successful with their goals. The mission of JROTC is to motivate young people to be better citizens. The JROTC students have to wear their uniform every Monday. Every Wednesday and Friday, the students have physical training. The students practice for the cadet challenge which consists of sit ups, one mile run, shuttle runs and pull ups. If the cadets perform above standard, they could be presented with a Presidential or National Certificate.

JROTC also participates in local events such as football games, parades, and Miss Gold and Black.

“At football games we pick up the trash on the Camden side of the football field and we all participate in all sorts of parades for veterans, fire fighters, and the police,” Junior Hunter Brunsen said.

JROTC is a great program for anyone that wants to join the military or any kind of service, whether it be taking a job as a Police Officer, Fire Fighter, or even a U.S. army soldier. It is a fantastic career option that everyone should think about.